To protect the sustainability of the Pacific halibut resource, ensure fair and equitable allocation of the halibut resource among all sectors, and promote rational management of the halibut fishery.
Current Issues (8/23/18):
RQE. At the December 8, 2016 meeting the Council took final action and adopted the Recreational Quota Entity (RQE). The RQE allows charter interests to purchase a limited amount of commercial quota share in area 2A/3A. The program can be implemented once the FINAL RULE is published by NMFS; draft final rule is at NOAA HQ.
Magnuson Stevens Act Reauthorization. H.R. 200 has passed the House on July 11. Awaiting introduction of a Senate version by Senator Dan Sullivan.
NPFMC Allocation Review. The NPFMC is scheduled to review the allocation between the longline and charter sectors for areas 2C/3A in 2021.
Annual renewal of charter halibut permits. Draft rule is in early stages. Earliest implementation is 2020.
Halibut rental boats. A discussion paper is due for presentation at the October Council meeting.
2019 Halibut Charter Management Measures are scheduled for final action at the December Council meeting.
- Sep 19-20, 2018. Draft Agenda for the 2018 Session of the IPHC Work Meeting (Closed to the public)
- Sep 25, 2018. 13th Session of the IPHC Scientific Review Board (SRB13)
- Oct 3-9, 2018. NPFMC, Anchorage (Halibut issues: unguided halibut rental boats, halibut retention in BSAI pots, abundance-based PSC limits).
Alaska Airlines Discount Code: ECMZ245
Hilton Hotel offers discounted rooms under the NPFMC room block. Please click HERE to reserve a room.
- Oct 22-25, 2018. 12th Session of the IPHC Management Strategy Advisory Board, IPHC Seattle
- Nov 27-28. IPHC Interim Meeting, Seattle, WA /Webcast
- Dec 3-11. NPFMC, Anchorage (Halibut issues: 2019 charter management issues, IFQ medical leases), Anchorage
- Jan 28- Feb 1, 2019. IPHC Annual Meeting, Victoria, BC
- Feb 27, 2019. 20th Session of the IPHC Research Advisory Board, IPHC Seattle
- May 6-9, 2019. 13th Session of the IPHC Management Strategy Advisory Board, IPHC Seattle
2011 Charter Operators vs Locke (Halibut Charter Limited Entry)
2009 Charter Lawsuit
The Halibut Coalition Speaks Out
In the News: